A Librarian's Guide to Providing Library Services to Patrons with Mental Disorders and Improving Self-Care
As a second career librarian with 20+ years of experience as a clinical psychologist, the course instructor, Dawn Behrend, is uniquely positioned to assist librarians in better understanding their role in supporting and servicing patrons with mental health disorders as well as developing techniques for engaging in self-care to prevent burn out and improve well-being.
- Understand common mental disorders
- Manage challenging patron behaviors and provide crisis intervention
- Analyze and improve library policy to better meet the needs of patrons with mental disorders
- Create programming and outreach events to raise awareness about mental disorders
- Develop a network of community resources to link patrons to available services
- Establish effective self-care techniques for librarians to improve their own wellness
Homework Expectations and Completion Requirements:
- Students will participate in class discussions and complete individual assignments.
- It is designed for individual participation; each individual must register.
This course consists of four 1-hour sessions.
Instructor: Dawn Behrend - firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Hours: 4
10:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT
|Amigos Member Individual Registration||$ 165.00|
|Non-member Individual Registration||$ 220.00|