Library Assistant II -- University of Texas at Austin -- Austin, TX
Job Posting Title: Library Assistant II
Position Open To: All Applicants
Expected to continue or position duration (if fixed term): 12 Months (1 Year)
Salary for Posting: $17,500
Hours per week: 20.00 Standard Hours, flexible 8 AM to 6 PM Monday-Friday
Number of Vacancies: 2 (two)
Location: The Harry Ransom Center at The University of Texas (Austin – Main Campus)
About the Harry Ransom Center:
The Ransom Center is an internationally renowned humanities research library and museum at The University of Texas at Austin. Its extensive collections provide unique insight into the creative process of writers and artists, deepening our understanding and appreciation of literature, photography, film, art, and the performing arts. Visitors engage with the Center's collections through research and study, exhibitions, publications, and a rich variety of program offerings including readings, talks, symposia, and film screenings.
The Ransom Center encourages discovery, inspires creativity, and advances understanding of the humanities for a broad and diverse audience through the preservation and sharing of its extraordinary collections.
The Ransom Center welcomes and respects all individuals and communities by valuing and maintaining awareness of diverse perspectives and experiences. We believe inclusivity is critical to fostering excellence in all of our endeavors, and we strive to promote diversity in our collections and services. We welcome applicants from under-represented groups and those who demonstrate a commitment to inclusion. To learn more about our institutional mission and values, visit: https://www.hrc.utexas.edu/about/#mission-values.
Purpose of Position:
To assist with the transfer of archival materials to off-site library storage facility.
- Identify, organize, rehouse, and inventory library and archival materials.
- Arrange and house materials in archival quality boxes and folders.
- Label folders and boxes and enter box, folder, and barcode information into electronic finding aids and databases.
- Strap and palletize boxes for offsite transfer.
- Track shipment of boxes.
- Other related functions as assigned.
- GED + four years library experience, or;
- BA + two years of full-time library experience (one year must be at Library Assistant I level position) or;
- 12 hours of LIS/MLIS/MSIS coursework + one year full-time library work at the Library Assistant I level, or;
- Other equivalent of course work and/or library experience.
- Successful completion of library or archives coursework.
- Experience processing library or archival materials.
- Experience creating and modifying archival inventories.
- Experience shipping and tracking materials.
- Accurate spelling and typing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with great attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet project deadlines.
Required Application Materials
- A Resume/CV is required in order to apply.
- A Letter of Interest is required in order to apply.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor.
May work around standard office conditions. Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation. Use of manual dexterity. Archival storage environment. Lifting and moving of boxes up to 50 pounds. Exposure to dust and mold. Work under stress, independently, and as team member. Accept supervision. Regular and punctual attendance.