Cataloging & Metadata Librarian -- Texas State Library & Arhcives Commission -- Austin, TX
Division: Archives and Information Services
Position Title: Cataloging & Metadata Librarian
Apply Now: https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=00019219&tz=G...
Work Location: 1201 Brazos - Austin, TX 78701
Working Hours: M-F 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Salary Group: B-18
Classification No. 7403 - Librarian III
Job Posting No. 00019219
Monthly Salary: $3813 - $4332 (Monthly)
Date Job Available: December 15, 2021
Please paste the following URL into a browser to view the entire job posting in the CAPPS Career Section: Job Description - Cataloging and Metadata Librarian III (00019219) (taleo.net)
TSLAC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability in employment or in the provision of services, programs, or activities. For job opening inquiries or to request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act please contact the TSLAC Human Resources office by calling 512-463-5474.
Applications submitted to TSLAC may be subject to public disclosure, upon request, pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields 8878, 3H, 84HO, SDI for Librarian or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply. Please call Human Resources at (512) 463-6564 with questions or for additional information.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_Inform...
Performs highly complex (senior-level) library work. Performs both original and copy cataloging of a variety of formats, such as monographs, serials, government documents, archival materials and electronic resources utilizing Resource Description and Access (RDA) and Describing Archives (DACS) content standards. Uses descriptive metadata element sets to create and contribute bibliographic records to the OCLC WorldCat database. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiCative and independent judgment.
- Performs original and copy cataloging of monographs, serials, government documents, archival materials, and electronic resources meeting measurable quantitative and qualitative production standards, to facilitate access through the integrated library system database, and OCLC database.
- Corrects existing bibliographic records to maintain consistency and quality in the catalog
- Creates and updates bibliographic records in the SirsiDynix WorkFlows
- Performs name authority work in formal cooperation with the Library of Congress’ NACO program.
- Develops procedures for cataloging new formats and updates existing procedures as standards change.
- Prepares statistical and other reports.
- Attends work regularly and in accordance with agency leave and attendance policies.
- Complies with all applicable agency policies and procedures, including safety and standards of conduct.
- May train others
- Serves as resource to cataloging staff.
- Maintains awareness of current developments in cataloging practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited program
- Two years of experience as a cataloger, including original cataloging of monographs, serials, government publications, and archival materials using Resource Description and Access (RDA) and the OCLC cataloging program
- Experience cataloging state or federal government publications
- Experience cataloging electronic documents
- Experience using authority records
- Expertise using an integrated library system
- Experience using a MARC based integrated library system
- Experience using word processing, database and spreadsheet applications
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform visual activities requiring prolonged attention to detail.
- Ability to move boxes weighing up to 40 pounds
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience as a cataloger using Resource Description and Access (RDA), Library of Congress Subject Headings, Dewey Decimal Classification scheme, and the OCLC cataloging program
- Experience cataloging using the MARC 21 metadata schema, including assigning authorized headings for names and subject terms.
- Experience using metadata schemas other than MARC 21.
- Experience with the SIRSI integrated library system.
- Experience cataloging archival materials
- Experience gathering and analyzing library statistics using standard methodology
- Experience using and creating authority records
- Knowledge of the history and structure of U.S. and Texas state government
- College transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) must be submitted at the time of application.
- In-basket cataloging exercise will be given at time of interview.
- Criminal history check will be required upon contingent offer.
- Occasional overtime work, including night and weekends may be required
- Has no supervisory responsibility.
- Reports to Head of Reference, Archives and Information Services Division.