Student Success Librarian -- Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology -- Okmulgee, OK
STUDENT SUCCESS LIBRARIAN
OSU INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
38,000.00 - 42,000.00, Salary
Schedule may vary
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Student Success Librarian is responsible for providing all general library instruction and reference services to the OSUIT community. This position also designs effective assessments by identifying and analyzing factors that measure the impact of general library instruction and reference services on student success, and facilitates outreach to patrons through the OSUIT website, social media channels and other platforms. Extensive interaction with students is a major component of this position.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs, promotes and delivers a variety of engaging general library instructional sessions and tutorials for students and employees through individual assistance, group orientations, online, and classroom instruction.
- Develops materials to support research and instruction in all formats.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and advancement of general library instruction and reference assessment programs, strategies, and initiatives that enable improvement and promote student success.
- Partners with other departments, committees, and student groups on campus to create initiatives that foster student success.
- Maintains a deep knowledge of current and emerging trends, issues, and best practices in academic library outreach, instruction, information access, assessment, and student success.
- Provides general and virtual information, research and reference services in a variety of formats (i.e., texting, online chat, email, face-to-face, etc.).
- Responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Library’s Distance Learning Strategic Plan.
- Provides proactive, user-centered service to library users.
- Administers library’s social media accounts.
- Coordinates the design and maintenance of the library’s web page.
- Selects materials for the library’s collection in coordination with other staff librarians adhering to stipulated budget.
- Stays up-to-date on professional developments through participation in professional organizations, workshops, and continuing education opportunities.
- Other relative duties as assigned.
Please upload cover letter, resume, and list of references for full consideration.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent education and experience (subject expertise combined with appropriate teaching experience and/or library experience).
- Evidences a history of demonstrating ethical and professional behavior.
- Teaching experience and strong presentation skills, preferably in a college setting.
- Experience working in an academic library strongly preferred.
- Must be able to interact comfortably and effectively with a diverse student population.
- Must possess excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Initiative and flexibility to respond to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to teach in a variety of settings and formats.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and yet focus on a single task at a given time.
- Experience using reference tools and the processes of research and information retrieval.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of library instruction, reference services, and the ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards.
- Must be proficient in information technology mediums to include word processing, database, spreadsheets and specialized software packages.
- Knowledge of Drupal, ExLibris’s Alma/Primo or a similar Library Management System, and LibGuides.
- A positive “can-do” attitude along with a professional appearance and demeanor should be modeled at all times.
- Must have a willingness to continually self-initiate learning to remain proficient. Should be able to quickly grasp and apply new skills and methods.
- Must be customer service oriented with ability to work and respond effectively to varied audiences of internal and external clients.
- Must be flexible, innovative and self-motivated.
- Strong verbal communication skills with a strong commitment to public service.
- Excellent written communication and listening skills and customer responsiveness are essential.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively recognize and resolve conflict.
- Valid Oklahoma driver’s license is required if performing the functions of the position requires the use of a university or personal vehicle.
- Ability to open and work some evenings and weekends.
- Travel may be required.
- Normal office physical environment; ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.